MirrorcleTech MEMS Development Kits
Scanning, two axis (tip-tilt) mirrors are a fundamental optical beam steering technology required in a wide variety of applications across many industries. Mirrorcle’s MEMS mirror technology provides a highly competitive solution to cater to many of those applications due to its capability to control mirrors to tip/tilt at arbitrary angles in two orthogonal axes, or two rotational degrees of freedom. For example, a laser beam pointed at the micro mirror could be deflected to any angle from -12° to +12° (specifications vary for different designs) on either or both axes, and therefore anywhere in a 24° field of regard cone. When a wide-angle lens is employed (see add-ons below,) field of regard of over 45° for each axis is easy to achieve.
Mirrorcle Technologies gimbal-less two-axis mirrors are driven by electrostatic actuators. Their angle of rotation closely follows a square law, i.e. angle is proportional to the square of applied voltage. This inherent non-linearity is linearized by specialized, bias-differential driving circuits. Mechanically, the mirrors behave approximately as second-order (mass-spring) systems with a high Q of 30-80, and therefore require properly conditioned drive signals to obtain well controlled performance. In open-loop driving, smoothing of applied voltage waveforms (input shaping and/or filtering) prevents overshoot and mechanical ringing at device resonance. Mirrorcle Technologies software and hardware drivers implement multiple methodologies to provide linearization and fast and stable point-to-point beam steering.
In most applications the mirrors do not require a position sensor or closed-loop control due to their exceptional repeatability in open loop control. Nevertheless, they may be equipped or packaged by customers with external position sensors for closed loop control operation. In those applications, customers have used the MEMS mirrors in closed-loop for feedback-based damping. However, Further technical details are made available in the Development Kit Overview and in additional documents and scientific publications on the support web page.
Mirrorcle Technologies MEMS Mirror Development Kit allows a user to quickly and efficiently gain familiarity with all aspects of these devices and their various possible uses. Furthermore, it enables safe operation of the devices with specifically developed software and MEMS driver solutions which include several levels of protection for the micro mirror devices.
Development Kit users are able to display a variety of vector graphics as well as multi-frame animations at arbitrary refresh rates. Scanners can be operated in point-to-point vector scanning or resonant and rastering modes. The system is highly adaptable to projection on various surfaces and in a variety of applications, including projection on specially-coated transparent surfaces. The ultra-low power consumption of the MEMS devices makes the system highly portable and miniature – the kit is very light-weight and fully mobile when used with a laptop computer.
See some additional features of the development kits.
|Mirrorcle Standard Development Kit|
(Individual MEMS mirrors and accessories)
Mirrorcle Development Kit with a Scan Module
Standard Development Kit Includes:
- Three Gimbal-less Dual-Axis MEMS Mirrors.
- An integrated 1.2mm diameter mirror with +-5° of angle (A3I12.1-1200AL-TINY20.4-A/TP).
- An integrated 2.0mm diameter mirror with +-5° of angle (A7M20.1-2000AL-TINY20.4-A/TP).
- A bonded 3.6mm diameter mirror with +-5.5° of angle (A7B2.1-3600AL-TINY20.4-A/TP).
- All three mirrors are Aluminum coated. Each mirror device is packaged in a connectorized package TINY20.4 for easy handling, mounting and connection to the USB MEMS Controller. Each device is covered with an anti-reflection coated window. User can choose among three available anti-reflection coatings listed on the support web page.
- Mirrorcle Software Suite 10.6 with extensive MEMS mirror driving capabilities in multiple Windows executables (XP, Vista, Win7, Win8) and 3 comprehensive SDKs. (Detailed descriptions here)
- MirrorcleDraw executable for Windows with an easy to use Graphical User Interface
- Includes generation of various arbitrary waveforms
- Includes RQ Explorer for “Resonant-Quasistatic” driving to rapidly line-by-line raster over an FoV
- MirrorcleLinearRaster is a console application for Windows
- MTIDevice-Demo is a console application demonstrating several mirror control methods from the C++ SDK
- MirrorcleListDevices is a console application which lists all connected and available Controllers and their info
- Software Development Kit for C++ (details)
- Software Development Kit for Matlab (details)
- Software Development Kit for LabVIEW (details)
- MirrorcleDraw executable for Windows with an easy to use Graphical User Interface
- USB MEMS Controller
- See details on MEMS drivers page.
- MEMS Mount “Horseshoe. Mirrorcle-designed, anodized aluminum mount for bread boarding with connectorized-package (TINY20.4 and TINY48.4) MEMS mirrors. Include threaded holes for mounting on optical breadboarding posts (8-32 thread), threaded holes for mounting onto KMS opto-mechanical mounting and threaded holes to mount TinyPCB-packaged MEMS mirrors.
- Optical Breadboarding. A 4.5”x4.5” optical breadboard with 1/4″-20 thread holes. Includes 2 post holders, 90-degree laser holder and a 1/2″ post. Along with the MEMS Mount (separate item) it is designed to be highly flexible and modular, and compatible with standard optical bread boarding equipment.
- 5 mW (Class IIIa) Red (635 nm) Laser. Red laser with a small ~1mm diameter beam which works well with most of our mirror sizes includes modulation capability for fast on/off control. Miniature, rugged design (10mm diameter x 30mm length). Great for experimentation with various vector graphics capabilities of our devices and software, and for development of synchronized digital outputs and/or triggers that are available with the Mirrorcle’s USB Controller.
Semi-Custom Development Kit Includes:
User Chooses Three Gimbal-less Dual-Axis MEMS Mirrors – Types, Sizes, Coatings, and Packages. In a standard development kit (see above) the three mirror sizes and actuators are preselected and premanufactured to reduce cost and delivery time. However if users wish to choose other mirror and actuator types, sizes, coatings and type of packaging, it is available in this category. User can select among various available 4-quadrant actuators to best suit their application, and select among all available mirror sizes from 0.6mm up to 5.0mm diameter. Mechanical tilt angle depends on the chosen actuator type. Aluminum and Gold coatings are available. For more information and options see support web page.
Development Kit with a Scan Module Includes:
Scan Module in Optomechanical Cell, type EaZy. In a standard development kit (see above) there are three individual mirrors included which can be used with kit accessories or other user optics. The Scan Module option on the other hand includes only one MEMS mirror of 1.2mm diameter (A3I12.2-1200AL) which is pre-assembled into a optomechanical cell with a laser and with wide-angle optics. With this option users can experiment and develop laser beam scanning applications with optical scanning angles of -20° to +20° with a high speed mirror with all optics pre-aligned, assembled, and enclosed in an easy-to-use Scan Module. Standard version includes a red laser with 3-8mW of output power with fast on-off modulation capability. Other wavelengths are possible too with longer lead times.
Optional Add-ons :
- Wide-Angle-Lens. Custom designed and built afocal lens with 3 lens elements that will magnify the optical scan-angles of the system by approximately 3X. This magnification is substantially linear, resulting in overall development kit scan capability of over 45°. Lens has 1/2″ and 1″ diameter elements and comes mounted on a 1/2 ” optical post. Lens elements are anti-reflection coated for visible wavelengths.
- Laser Tracking Bundle. A bundle that extends the capabilities of the USB-SL Controller and Mirrorclce API by providing users a quick route to prototyping and development of laser tracking applications. Bundle includes a high sensitivity photosensor with an optical daylight filter and a multi-stage amplifier designed for noise reduction. A sample retroreflective tape is included for marking laser tracking targets in the range of several to tens of meters. An example C++ Visual Studio project is included with several examples of use of the tracking library classes.
- Android Development Kit. Adds wireless communication (over Bluetooth) capability to the Mirrorcle USB MEMS controller (USB-SL). Includes Mirrorcle’s Android Java API for user’s development of applications. An Android Tablet is included with pre-installed MirrorcleDraw and other demo apps. In addition to the Eclipse library and comprehensive user guides, example projects are provided with source codes.
- Linux Development Kit. For development of applications with the Raspberry Pi platform. Includes a Raspberry Pi module pre-installed with executable examples as well as the Linux-compatible SDK with examples of source codes.
- PSD Bundle. The PSD Bundle consists of a PSD Module, a focusable Red Laser, and a set of Matlab scripts for use with Mirrorcle Software Suite’s Matlab SDK for creating Look-Up-Tables, characterizing MEMS devices Angle vs. Vdifference responses, etc. The PSD Module consists of a 20mm x 20mm duo-lateral PSD (Position Sensing Device) and conditioning circuits for powering the PSD and converting its output currents to X and Y positions, and a CW red laser module with focusing capability.
Price and Availability of Development Kits as described above:
- Mirrorcle Standard Development Kit (with Mirrorcle USB MEMS Controller):
- Standard $7,850 + shipping and handling + Importing Fee/business fee. Delivery in 2 ~3 weeks after receipt of payment.
- Semi-custom starts at $8,875 + shipping and handling + Importing Fee/business fee, final cost depends on exact details of the offer. Delivery times vary, typical time is 3 weeks.
- Mirrorcle Development Kit with a Scan Module:
- Standard $6,950 + shipping and handling +Importing Fee/business fee. Delivery in less than 3~4 weeks after receipt of payment.
- Semi-custom (different wavelengths etc) – please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
“SensLite represents Mirrorcle products in Taiwan local market only, please contact email@example.com for inquiry in Taiwan.
Please visit www.Mirrorcletech.com for other global sales.”